Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rain, Rain, Go Away! Well, then again...

Yes, it has been raining now for two solid days! I do have something wonderful to report tho- during a short lull today I picked these-Notice the pencil for size reference?!? The carrots are the small variety (in addition to being dwarfed by the massive cukes!) and the zuke I just really wanted to pick! It will go well with the veggie fajitas when I make them! Guess the rain is good for something after all... Sam likes it too!
The other night I made a great bean salad, but somehow the pictures got erased? Here is the recipe anyway!

Santa Fe Salad
1 can each pintos and black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 small can sliced black olives
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup sweet corn
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
2 tbsp lime juice
1 cup fresh cilantro,chopped
2 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch salt
Mix everything together and fridge for a few hours before serving. The original recipe called for green beans and green chiles, but I left those out. I do think it needed some chopped tomatoes!! Cukes would be good too...
Tonight I am making Chicken Dijonaise from my grilling cookbook. It's basically a whole chicken (flattened) marinated in a mix of dry vermouth, dijon mustard, garlic, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice. It smells incredible as it's cooking now, so I hope I remember to photo it! I am serving it with sauteed broccolini and steamed carrots. I am also making broasted new potatoes, but I doubt I will eat any. Saving those calories for a glass or two of pinot grigio! ;) If I remember to photo, I will post it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Nau-Dee said...

its been raining here for a few weeks now. our grass is so thick and long but we cant get out and mow as we have an eclectic mower and that's not a good thing to have in the rain :D

The Santa Fe Salad sounds wonderful. I'll have to give it a try.
Sam sure looks like he took a growing spurt.