Saturday, May 19, 2007

Pancakes 4-ways!


I bought the new King Arthur Whole Grain Cookbook recently and love it! This is the recipe for the Homemade Whole Grain Pancake Mix. It makes a ton, which is good because we thought this was fabulous! I made these four ways- Sam likes chocolate chips, Joe likes walnuts, and I like blueberries. That left some batter plain, and those were just as delicious!


Homemade Whole Grain Pancake Mix


3 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, ground not quite to a powder

4 cups white whole wheat flour

1 cup unbleached flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)

3 tbsp sugar (I used 8 packets Stevia Plus)

3 tbsp baking powder

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp baking soda

3/4 cup vegetable oil


Mix everything in the bowl of a large mixer. With paddle attachment running on low, drizzle the oil in and blend thoroughly. When all the oil has been added, stop the mixer and test the mix. Squeeze a clump of it in your hands- if it holds together it is perfect, if not add in another tablespoon at a time until it's right. Store indefinitely in the freezer.


To make pancakes-

Combine 1 cup mix with 1 cup buttermilk (or 1/2 cup milk/soy milk and 1/2 cup plain yogurt, which is what I did), 1 tbsp orange juice (I didn't have any, so I used another tbsp soy milk), and 1 egg. It will seem thin at first, let it sit 15 minutes and it thickens. Cook pancakes as usual, turning when the edges begin to turn from glossy to matte.



2 comments:

Nau-Dee said...

Mmmm these look good! I love pancakes - they are a great and fast "homey" kind of dish. :D

(Also, its great to see ya back on blogger!)

Catherine said...

I'm a blueberry girl, too! I had to make plain waffles for Spence this morning and then make my blueberry ones.