Monday, September 18, 2006

Chicken and Dumplings

Okay, who doesn't get images of Grandma making this in the kitchen on a chilly winter evening? I got the base of this recipe from a friend of a friend and added dumplings instead of making potpie, and I think mine is better! (Shhhh! Don't tell Julie!) Now, I admit, this version is a little different from what I've made in years past. I always used Bisquik and now I use Hodgson Mills Insta-Bake. The flavor is different, but if it means we can still have this meal then we can adjust! Try this and let me know what you think!





Chicken and Dumplings P2 (P3 if concerned about the potatoes)

4lb chicken, skinned and giblets removed (if there)
6qts water
Celery leaves
½ pound carrots, cut into large dice
1 baseball-sized red potato, peeled and cut into large dice (can omit, but not right!)
3 stalks celery, chopped
6 shrooms, chopped
½ large onion, chopped
1 cup peas
1-2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp salt (sounds like a lot, but trust me!)
1 ½ cups WW baking mix (I use Insta-Bake)
¾ cup skim milk
Fresh parsley if desired

Place the chicken, water, and celery leaves in a large stock pot, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer uncovered for an hour. Remove chicken and cool until you can handle it. Strain the broth and place back in the pot. Remove chicken meat from the bones, discard the bones and put the meat back in the pot. Cook this on low two hours uncovered to reduce somewhat.
About an hour before serving time, finish the soup. Add the carrots, potatoes, and celery. Saute in another pan the shrooms and onions just until softened, add those to the pot. Stir in the seasonings and half the salt. Simmer about 30 minutes, until veggies are tender.
In a bowl, mix gently the baking mix and milk to form a dough. Drop by rounded large spoonfuls into the simmering broth. Cover and cook 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, turn the dumplings over and then add the peas and parsley. Cover and cook another 10 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the dumplings comes out clean. Check broth for seasoning, adding remaining salt if needed.

3 comments:

Nau-Dee said...

I have NEVER had dumplings and my Grandma never made any when I was a kid.....Geeze! This looks GOOD however!!!! I'd love to try it.... I cant get the Hodgson Mills Insta-Bake here...have any suggestions?

Kitchen Goddess said...

you could try a ww pancake mix? or better yet- treat yourself and make this once or twice a winter and use reduced fat bisquick! otherwise, you could make a biscuit dough and drop that into it? (if you can get the ww flour)

Anonymous said...

You can get Hodgson Mills Insta-Bake at www.hodgsonmill.com