Thursday, June 15, 2006

Veggie fajitas!


I had these on vacation last year at a Cuban/BoHo place in Eureka Springs, AR. They were so good, I ate the veggies and completely forgot about the tortillas and toppings! So, when I came home I dreamt about then for almost a year. Then one day while chatting with DD, I decided to try and make them myself. Luckily, my first attempt was right on the money! They were so good, even though my grill was outta gas so I had to broil the veg. Here they are!

Veggie Fajitas P2
For the marinade-
6oz can of pineapple juice
half of a can of lite coconut milk
1/2 tsp Sweet-N-Low Brown (or for tidi_i, 1 tbsp Splenda )
1 tsp salt
one shot of REALLY dark rum

Portabello Mushrooms
Onions
Peppers- whatever color you like
Broccoli spears or broccolini

Leave the shrooms whole if you are going to grill them, otherwise slice into 1/4 inch slices. The peppers you can cut in half and remove the seeds if grilling, or slice if not. Onions, cut these in half. Marinate all of the veg in the liquid for at least 6 hours. Drain when ready to cook. Grill the veggies until nicely browned or really browned! If roasting them, use a big sheet pan and oil it well. Heat the oven to 500 degrees, or preheat the broiler. Spread the veg out on the pan and bake for 20 minutes or broil for 15 minutes until browned. If grilled, slice them right before serving with WW tortillas and normal fajita toppings.

No comments: