Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Frosted Rhubarb Cookies


I get requests for these every year from my son. This year, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to eat them! They came out a little crumbly, so I will add applesauce for moisture next time. Here's how I have done it-

Frosted Rhubarb Cookies

1 C shortening (I used canola and will add some applesauce next time)
1 1/4 C packed brown sugar (used 2/3 cup SugarTwin Brown and 1/2 cup fructose)
2 eggs
3 C flour (ww pastry)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C diced rhubarb
3/4 C coconut (I always leave this out)
Cream shortening and sugar, then beat in the eggs. Combine flour, soda, and salt, gradually add this to creamed mixture. Stir in the rhubarb. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. (I use my small scoop from Pampered Chef) Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
They are to be frosted with a cream cheese frosting.
Frosting
3 oz softened cream cheese
1 TBSP butter, softened
3 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C powdered sugar

Instead of this frosting, I did this-
1/4 cup softened LF cream cheese
1 cup milk, warmed to keep from seizing the cheese
1 package SF vanilla pudding mix
Whisk this together and top the cookies with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is rhubarb and what does it taste like?

Kitchen Goddess said...

Rhubarb is technically a vegetable, but it's usually used like a fruit in pies. It is tart, usually VERY tart and requires a lot of sweetener to taste good. This is probably why it is normally paired with sweet strawberries in pie!